Right side #1

Need to do something about this and also the inside:

It looks pretty good, but I want this to have a nice smooth painted Surface, not this rough:

Cut away… Rare opportunity to look inside:

Looks better then expected, just some surface rust:

Will be sandblasted as much as possible, sprayed with  phosphoric acid and then a lot of linseed oil:

All pictures here:

http://www.longway.to/gallery/default.aspx?aid=2396

Right Floor #8

I hate bitumen/rubber/soundproofing mats that are self adesive, eventually they all crack, if strangely shaped surface you will not get it flat to the surface, there will be gaps, moist behind then = rust, they are heavy and there will be edges and gaps.

Now, enough complaining, I have started to test a soundproofing/vibration dampening paint and I must say I like it.

Used a spraygun for undercoating, still wet here:

Next day:

It needs another layer, only one here, but now Everything is covered, with mats only parts get covered.

There are more pictures of this here:

http://longway.to/gallery/default.aspx?aid=2396

Right floor #6

Not much work done, sealed the joints and rustprotected more:

Test fit:

A lot of welding later:

Grinded, still have to do the holes for the temporary screws and some touchup:

Al pictures to this short session here:

http://www.longway.to/gallery/default.aspx?aid=2390

Rusthunt…

Since I didn’t think it was enough I started looking for more rust and didn’t take long, made a more thorough inspection of the bulkhead and front wheelarc, more work…

Bulkhead, here was the decision made that the dashboard had to go:

Considering what I have seen online, this is not that bad, but it is in a bad spot:

Dashboard and other stuff out, dashboard needs fixing anyways, has cracks, was just not going to do it now:

Front part of exhaust had to go to be able to take away the rust/paint from where I am welding the floor:

Besides, I don’t like it, will build my own later:

More rust:

All pictures here:

http://www.longway.to/gallery/default.aspx?aid=2388

Right floor #4

Found some problems in the front of the floor aswell:

No time to waste, get welding, this was a screw hole, might be for the plastic in the Wheel arc, well, now it is gone:

Usually I don’t approve putting double metal, but in this case I cut away the bat metal, sand blasted, welding primer:

Simple welded a piece on top, here is everything grinded and sandblasted, also welded in nuts for holding the heatshields from underneath:

Right floor #3

Alright, what to do with this, it looks good, but since I am a sceptical person:

So, drill/cut all the welds:

Sandblasting showed this needed some patching:

It sttod between cutting this part out or patching the small holes, Went for the last option, patched the spot welds and then the few holes that were there, you can also see I drilled some guidance holes for remounting:

Then cleaned out this part, of course rust under the sealant, acid and a lot of sandblasting later:

Then turned to this, I hate bitumen or whatever the soundproofing is, all cars I have seen this comes loose or there has been water behind it, I will most definately not use it:

That’s better:

 

Right floor #2

Need.To.Finish.Floor…

Some cutting and sandblasting later:

Made a piece of metal, middle part is resued:

Welding primer:

This also:

Cutting, sandblasting, welding primer:

New small piece of metal:

From inside, rear end of floor is done:

Right floor underside…

Well, stripped some parts off the car to get better overview and get the screws and bolts out of the holes in the floor:

And of course more of my favourite work:

Cover/fastening plates for the transmission, these things are heavy, see if I can make them out of aluminium later:

I got some work cut out for me:

Couldn’t resist cleaning these, this is 10 kg….